QMUL's Wolfson Institute of Population Health (WIPH) is excited to offer current PGR students a small departmental licence to Covidence.
What is Covidence?
Covidence is a web-based software platform that streamlines the production of systematic reviews. It supports citation screening, full-text review, risk of bias assessment, extraction of study characteristics and outcomes, and the export of data and references.
The interface is intuitive and suitable for students and experienced reviewers. Covidence can save time on repetitive review tasks, enabling faster review production and more time for analysis and interpretation.
In Covidence you can:
- Import references - Covidence works seamlessly with your favourite reference managers like EndNote, Zotero, RefWorks, Mendeley or any tool that support RIS, CSV or PubMed XML formats. Covidence can automatically remove duplicates for you.
- Screen title & abstract - Breeze through screening with keyword highlighting & a lightning-quick interface. Covidence keeps full records of who voted and supports single or dual screeners.
- Bulk PDF import - Transfer PDFs stored in your reference manager to Covidence in a few clicks.
- Screen full text - Decide quickly on studies in full text. Capture reasons for exclusion and any notes so you can resolve any disagreements quickly, with a click of a button.
- Create forms - Be in control and stay focused on your PICO question. Customizable extraction forms mean you only spend time extracting what you need.
- Customize risk of bias - Automatically populate your risk of bias tables by highlighting and commenting on the text directly in your PDF.
- Conduct data extraction - Extract data efficiently with a side-by-side view of your customized form and PDF. Then, when you are done, easily compare your form with other reviewers.
- Export - Covidence exports to all the common formats so you can continue your review in your preferred software.
- Collaborate - You can invite other reviewers (including external colleagues) to work with you on the project.
Why join the WIPH departmental access to Covidence?
- Unlimited records for each review
- Unlimited number of reviewers for each review
Starting a review using the WIPH departmental licence
- Speak briefly to your supervisor to discuss the option
- Request your review by emailing from your currently valid @qmul.ac.uk email account to Tor Kemp firstname.lastname@example.org or Patrick Mullan email@example.com with the following information:
- Primary Supervisor details
- Working title for the review
- Review type
- a. Systematic review
- b. Scoping review
- c. Rapid review
- d. Umbrella review
- e. Literature review
- f. Other
- Confirm area of research as ‘medical and health research’
- Once approved, an email invitation will be sent to join your review (may need to check your spam folder): click 'Accept invitation'
- Sign in if you already have an existing Covidence account with your university email address or sign up for a new account (recommend to use your university email as this will make it easier to affiliate with your university's licence)
- Once you have accepted an invitation to the review, the title will appear in the “Wolfson Institute QMUL” section on your account homepage
You will be able to sign into your account by visiting: https://www.covidence.org/sign_in
Covidence offers a range of available resources and support to help you along the way with your systematic review process.
Getting started with Covidence - video tutorials that guide you through the initial area to get you started.
Covidence Knowledge Base - home to all of our comprehensive articles, instructions and advice to FAQs.
Covidence Academy - combines all of our learning material into a single space. You can easily navigate to find the latest ‘How to’ guides on the different types of review processes, step-by-step video tutorials on all stages of Covidence stages, and helpful links/tools to additional resources.
When logged into your account, you can easily access support and the comprehensive articles from our Knowledge Base within Covidence by clicking the 'Need help?' button in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.